Welcome to December!
Wow, what a start to the last month of the year.
Winter storms are socking the Midwest today, and heading our way here in Pa., though we’re likely getting a lot of rain and no white stuff.
Tons of flights out of Chicago, a major hub, are canceled. Millions have no power.
But many kids have no school today, and they like that I’m sure. Heeeeyy kids!
And some places are getting THUNDERSNOW today. That’s snow that rumbles! That’ll wake you up fast on your morning commute!
For me, December is the official start of the holiday jubilance period, where my Christmas spirit builds and builds until either…
- A) I finally get to the point where I’m out of red and green clothes to wear to work, or…
- B) my wife has slipped me some Valium in my eggnog to calm me down, or choked me with holly garland.
Yeah, I can be that bad.
And I haven’t even brought out my DVD of Emmit Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas yet. OK, so I like the Muppets, what of it?
Today, on the way into work, I was listening to Christmas songs on my iPod, and I realized I don’t have much “new” Christmas music. So, with 24 more days until Christmas, I think I might need some help in updating my list.
Blogosphere, are you up for the challenge?
Here’s the 25 songs on my heavy rotation Christmas playlist….
The modern ones first:
- It’s Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home), performed by U2
- All I want for Christmas (is You), performed by Mariah Carey
- Where Are You Christmas?, by Faith Hill (From How The Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack)
- So This is Christmas, by John Lennon (the kids in the background make this song)
- Blue Christmas, by Elvis Presley
- Angels We Have Heard on High, by Manheim Steamroller
- Better Days, by The Goo Goo Dolls
- Oy to the World, by No Doubt (off of A Very Special Christmas)
- Ex Miss, by New Found Glory (from A Santa Clause – It’s a Punk Rock Christmas)
- Christmas, by Blues Traveler (from Very Special Christmas 3)
- Christmas in Hollis, by RUN-DMC
- It’s Christmas Time Again, by Blink-182
- Christmas Day, by Green Day
- Soulful Christmas, by James Brown
- Christmas is All Around, by Billy Mack (Love Actually soundtrack, one of my favorite movies. The song is tacky, but makes me think of my first Christmas with my wife.)
The “traditional” standards:
- Jingle Bell Rock, by Bobby Helms
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, by Brenda Lee
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside, by Dean Martin
- Christmas Time is Here, by the Vince Guaraldi Trio (from A Charlie Brown Christmas)
- Winter Wonderland, by Frank Sinatra
And the comedy songs:
- Dominick, the Italian Christmas Donkey, by Lou Monte
- The Dreidel Song, by South Park characters (Mr. Hankey’s Christmas)
- Swiss Colony Beef Log, by Eric Cartman (South Park, Mr. Hankey’s Christmas)
- Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, by Elmo and Patsy
- The Twelve Pains of Christmas, by Bob Rivers
Please post your comments below on any songs that should be added. Also, please tell me what song to remove from the playlist in their place.
Thanks in advance, I’ll post a final blogosphere-approved playlist here nearer to the holiday.